Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gas Attendant Hurt In Crash

Attendant Jamar Gittens was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital after being injured when a car careered off the road into the Shell Service Station at Triple D Enterprises Complex at Mapp Hill, St Michael, about 6:30 p.m. yesterday. The gas pump beside which Gittens was seated was struck by the car.

Both police and Barbados Fire Service officials went to the scene and the immediate area was barred from vehicular and pedestrian traffic as a precaution because of the gasoline fumes escaping from the pump.

An elderly couple was in the vehicle but neither reportedly received injuries. They declined to speak to the Press.

Source: www.nationnews.com

Monday, July 19, 2010

Rising Stars Summer Camp Visit Fire Station

Janice Holder and 45 children from the Rising Stars Child Care Services Summer camp enjoyed a fun-filled tour of Fire Service Headquarters this morning. The Rising Stars summer camp which is based in St George was making their first ever visit to a fire station.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gran’s Hero: Right-hand Man Maloney

Junior Maloney has no idea where he got the strength to pull both his 17-month-old daughter and 80-plus-year-old grandmother from their burning home – but thanks to God he was able to.

Maloney was describing to the SUNDAY SUN what happened last Tuesday when his uncle Shirley Holder’s home was virtually destroyed by fire. It was clear the 37-year-old graphic artist spared little thought for himself.

“I was talking to my aunt next door when we smelled something funny. She went to look and then I heard her scream, ‘Shirley! Bring back water!’ When I ran out, the fire was already in their verandah,” he said.

The fire consumed most of Holder’s 1st Avenue, Promenade Road, St Michael, home which he shared with his wife, daughter and three grandchildren, and soon spread next door to the home of Maloney’s grandmother Pearl Holder, where Maloney and his daughter live.

Maloney said they initially tried to slow the fire, but he soon realised it was a lost cause and sprang to action in getting his family out. He said his grandmother and daughter were sleeping in their bedroom which was directly beside where the fire started next door.

“I ran back home next door to get my child and grandmother out from the bedroom. She suffers with bad arthritis so she can’t move too well; so I had to carry my daughter in one arm and lift my grandmother from around the waist with the other. I don’t know where I found the strength,” he said.

Afterwards, he continued his efforts to contain the fire and prevent it from claiming another home – his own. “The fire spread to the ceiling. I had to get out once pieces of it started to fall. Luckily this is a wall house which is probably the only reason the fire didn’t come down and destroy it,” Maloney said.

Some people may think of Maloney as a hero for doing what he did, but he said he simply did what he had to. “It’s not a matter of being a hero; I was just looking to get my family out. I’m just glad they are safe because it could have been worse,” he said.

Most of his home escaped damage, but it was at the moment uninhabitable which is why his grandmother now stays with neighbours and why he moved into his girlfriend’s house in Grazettes.

“People think because this is a wall house then there is no damage, but we can’t live here as it is right now. Plus, my grandmother needs to keep mobile because of her knees; next door she can’t,” Maloney said.

The artist is thankful to the people in the community who helped him in removing hisgrandmother’s belongings from the house that day, as well as to Member of Parliament Steve Blackett, who helped clean the house out and is arranging for a new paint job.

Pearl Holder in turn is thankful to her grandson, whom she calls her “right-hand man”, for all he has done. Maloney says his next step is to find a new home, and he is hoping his application to the National Housing Corporation, which he made long before the fire, comes through soon.

Source: www.nationnews.com

Friday, July 16, 2010

Nurse Proceeds On Pre-Retirement Leave

Fire Drill

It’s not every day that children get the first-hand experience of feeling like a fire officer.

And yesterday these three, under the watchful eye of Fire Officer 311 Reshelle Griffith, were fascinated when they felt the power of the water hose, at the Arch Hall Fire Station.

The three, who held fast as they tried to control the hose, were among the group of 26 trainees, in the Junior Fire Cadet Programme, who are undergoing rigorous training and discipline in a number of areas.

Source: www.nationnews.com

Friday, July 9, 2010

Fire Service Versus Wotton (Day 1)

BCA Intermediate Division: - Zone A

Barbados Fire Service versus Wotton at Passage Road. (Summarised scores & results)

Wotton 118 (Keith Seale 61, J. Sealy 22, J. Browne 17; P. Smith 4-22, Lonsdale Blake 4-43).

BFS 18-5 (Patrick Smith 10; M. Seale 3-14; K. Seale 2-0).